Fernandina Beach Friends of the Library
The Friends of The Fernandina Beach Library
Friends of the Library
P.O. Box 17155
Amelia Island, FL 32035
Insight- Electronic Newsletter
Chuck Comeau, President
Patricia Kirschling, Vice President
Kimberly Syme, Treasurer
Pamela Vieser Secretary
Fernandina Beach Library
Meetings are monthly 9:30 am – 11:30 am
Library Community Room
25 N. 4th St.
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
2019 Meeting Dates
Feb 21: Board Meeting at 4pm, Annual Meeting at 5:30pm
Jul 25 (if necessary)
Dec No meeting
New Library Art Show “In Memorium” honoring the art legacy of
Paul Massing and Milt Shirley
Friends of the Library is pleased to announce a new art exhibit in the Fernandina Beach Library Community Room Gallery, showing the work of Paul Massing and Milt Shirley, two longtime residents of Amelia Island who have recently passed away. The exhibit will hang from April 4 thru August 31, 2019.
There will be a reception for the artists’ family, friends and our community on Saturday, May 11 2019 from 5-7 pm at the Fernandina Beach Library located at 4th Street, Fernandina Beach, FL.
Both artists are well known to the Amelia Island Community, not only for their beautiful art, but for their civic and educational contributions over many years.
Paul Massing was a graduate of the Albright Art School in NY and was best known for his pen and ink drawings as well as for portraiture. He lent much time teaching at the Island Art Association (IAA) and designed T-shirts and posters for the annual Shrimp Festival.
Milt Shirley found his passion for oil painting after he retired from a career working as a chemist for Rayonier and specialized in paintings of Amelia Island’s glorious marshes. He also served as Mayor for Fernandina Beach in 1989.
For further information regarding this event, on joining Friends of the Library, or to donate, please visit the FOL website at www.fernandinaFOL.org. All the art is available for sale and benefits the Fernandina Beach Library.
Friends of the Library Continues Free Computer Classes
Deryck Burnett, owner of Megabite Computer Services, will offer his next class on Freshbooks. Sponsored by the Friends of the Library, this free workshop will be held Saturday, May 18, from 1:00 - 2:00 pm (note the change in class time) in the Fernandina Beach Library Community Meeting Room.
Freshbooks is an accounting software package geared mainly toward small-sized businesses. It offers cloud-based accounting applications that include both invoice and expense functions.
To register for this class, call the library at 904-530-6500, Extension 1. For further information regarding this event or to donate and/or join Friends of the Library, visit our website: www.fernandinabeachFOL.org.
Reading List 2019-2020
- April: An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (Lynne)
- May: Milkman by Anna Burns (Susan)
- June: Brief and Wonderful Life of
Oscar Wao by Jonot Diaz (Julie)
- July: Warlight by Michel Ondaatje (Andrea)
- August: The Friend by Sigrid Nunez (Penny)
- September: The Warmth of Other Suns Isabel Wilkerson (Lila)
- October: Hidden Tapestry by Debra Dean (Vibeke)
- November: The Razor’s Edge by Somerset Maugham (Anne)
- December: The Untouchable by John Banville (Evelyn)
- January: Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz (Judy)
- February: Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (Larry)
- March: PLANNING PARTY
Other Books Nominated:
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline
Reading List 2018-2019
- April: Radium Girls by Kate Moore (Sallie)
- May: The Long Way by Bernard Moitessier (Carl)
- June: Never Let Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (Evelyn)
- July: Caleb’s Crossing by Geraldine Brooks (Susan)
- August: Sing Unburied Sing by Jesmyne Ward (Andrea)
- September: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Kay)
- October: The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (Kathy)
- November: Being Mortal by Atul Gawande (Penny)
- December: Daisy Miller by Henry James (Anne)
- January: A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles (Lynne)
- February: The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes (Vibeke)
Reading List 2017-2018
- April: Appointment in Samarra by John O’Hara (Anne)
- May: The Sellout by Paul Beatty (Susan)
- June: All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (Jerry)
- July: In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson (Andrea)
- August: American Gods by Neil Gaiman (Nancy)
- September: The Crucible by Arthur Miller (Kay)
- October: Billy Budd by Herman Melville (Evelyn)
- November: Moonglow by Michael Chabon (Maddy)
- December: The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally (Lynn)
- January: Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (Judy)
- February: The Light Between Oceans by M L Stedman (Larry)
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi (Coates)
- Virginia Width of the World by Baldacci (Dawn)